I must admit, I am starting my “10 hours of TV a week plan” on an easy week. SYTYCD and the Bachelorette just ended. (Guilty pleasures that suck up a lot of TV time.) The fall TV season has not started yet so things are pretty quiet on the TV front for my kick-off. Here are the rules:
- I am allotted 10 hours of dedicated TV watching time per week. This is 10 hours in actual time which means about 13 hours of scheduled programming. (fast forwarding through commercials of course) Dedicated TV time is time when I am mostly focused on the TV and it is not just on in the background while I am doing something else.
- DVD TV shows DO count towards the 10 hour budget. Shoes on Hulu (which I rarely use) would also count towards the budget.
- Weeks start on Sunday. Unlike my childhood (Love Boat, Fantasy Island, BJ and the Bear, etc) there is nothing worth watch on Saturday. So in my world, the TV week starts on Sunday.
- I get bonus points for ONLY turning the TV on for my dedicated TV watching time. I did it this weekend and it really helps quiet the mind (I suck at meditating so this was as close as I have gotten..silence). Right now the bonus is just a HUGE sense of accomplishment and a quieter mind. Perhaps I should come up with a real reward for myself…..
- TV watching at the gym or in a bar does not count. These are clearly social and health related activities where TV is totally allowed.
Until I get bored of it, I will post my selected “13 hours of scheduled programming” in the cool text widget on the sidebar. Notice that this week I am catching up on some stuff I am behind on AND I am going to try to squeeze in Dexter Season 4 (just released on DVD) before the Fall TV season starts. I should qualify that I don’t have Showtime (in an attempt to minimize my TV watching..hah!) so I am behind on Dexter, Weeds, and Californication. All great shows that I hope to catch up on eventually.