One of my goals for 2017 was to start blogging again. It’s December 28th so I thought I should get on it.
A few months ago I re-read 5 years of blog posts to try to get back in to the swing of it. When I read back what I had written, I was not sure I wanted to start blogging again. I like having a history of what I was up to (and thinking about), but reading myself say the same thing over and over again — setting goals, trying to achieve them, work getting in the way, blah, blah, blah — was boring (especially in a binge read which is not how they unfolded or were intended to be consumed.)
In case you are just joining in now or want a refresher yourself here are a few to give you a gist of my personal development theme:
- Tales of a TVaholic (where it all started in 2010)
- Keep on Rolling (from 2011)
- Today is my Birthday (from 2015)
I did write some hilarious posts about the minutia of my life (if I might say so myself):
My many posts on television bored the bejesus out of me. (Some less sucky ones include Goodbye Friday Night Lights and I Finally Tackled Battlestar Galactica) I have no interest in blogging about television any more. I definitely still watch television and it has become SO much better since I started this blog in 2010. (Back in the day, Netflix only came in red envelopes! Remember that?)
There was a lot of interest in my dating posts and I did enjoy writing and re-reading those! Here are a few goodies from that genre:
- Cyberspace Dating Advice (Evan Marc Katz – the dating coach whom I wrote about in this post – actually responded to it!)
- Let The E-mails Begin
- I Did It!
- What’s Up With Tinder? (my first Tinder experience in 2013!)
- Match vs OK Cupid (My most viewed post of all time)
- The Artist
I wanted my blog to be a continuous story thread to keep my readers (aka family and friends) up to date on what was going on with me and it was the same s*^t over and over, with small progressions in the right direction. That is what life is, but that is not a riveting read. I don’t want to blog that way any more. Social media has exploded since I started the blog and that is a much easier way to keep people up to date.
I did take on a huge project in 2017 and it was very weird not to write about it here. There was a request to summarize that project and the blog seems like a good place to do that so I have committed to at least one more post! It seemed weird to jump right in to that after such a long hiatus, so I birthed this transitional summary post you find yourself reading now.
There are a couple of other reasons to re-start the blog again:
- I have an interest in writing and I think I’m pretty good at it. I want to explore this creative outlet again and see if it something that should become a larger part of my life.
- I want to write about things that are helpful to other people. I spend a lot of time searching on the internet for stuff that I want to know more about. I can pay it forward by writing about things that other people want to know more about.
I don’t know how far this will go. I thought about creating a new blog to start fresh but I don’t have a new idea or perspective for that yet. If that emerges I will take the leap, but for now, I will continue the story here and see what unfolds…