Day 2 of my one week with no television. It’s quiet. Seems like a good time to talk about this great list I found on About.com
Top 10 Reasons to Turn Off your TV (by Mark Stibich, Ph.D) …. let’s discuss!
1. Television Eats Your Time – duh!
2. Television Makes You Stressed – people are stressed about not getting stuff done so then they watch TV because they are stressed and then even less gets done. Sometimes, I just feel too tired to actually DO anything else. A wise friend once said, if you are really that tired, go to bed. Makes sense.
3. Television Makes You Overweight – apparently people eat between 31 and 74 percent more calories while watching TV.
4. Television Makes You Uninteresting – I feel more interesting when I think about and write about stuff other than TV but some TV is pretty cool and fun. (zombies, multiple universes, and vampires for example) And I sometimes learn some wise things from my imaginary friends (usually the human ones).
5. Television Ruins Your Relationships – or possibly prevents you from having any. But I do bond with some peeps around TV (hey BFF!) so I could lose friends if I stop watching TV completely.
6. Television is Not Relaxation – apparently the stimuli you are receiving from TV keeps your brain working which does not count as relaxing. And by relaxing, they mean meditation! Ah ha!
7. Television Loses Opportunities – “Watching TV isolates you. Nothing is going to change in your world if you are watching TV.” This is my favorite one. I might post it on my fridge.
8. Television is Addictive – “If the idea of giving up TV for a week is horrifying, you may be addicted to television.” Hmmmm…..
9. Television Makes You Buy Things – personally, the internet makes me want to buy things.
10. Television Costs Money – which is why we love Hulu!!! Spoken like a true addict. Not that I would get rid of my cable or my TiVo in a million years. This is just one week people!
There really are some good points in this article. Thanks Mark, for giving me the strength to get through Day 2 and carry on to Day 3.